CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Creme Brulee

CREME BRULEE


This recipe is one of my favorite desserts and makes for one serious guilty pleasure. Not only is it delicious, it is easy!

You will need:

4 Egg Yolks
4 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Pint Heavy Cream
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Dash of Salt
4-6 Ramekins or Custard cups
Roasting Pan ( I use a 9x9 or 9x13 pyrex)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Mix sugar and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl.

Put the sugar cream mixture in the microwave for 2 minutes to help dissolve the sugar.

Beat the egg yolks until they are smooth.

When the sugar cream mixture is done add the egg yolks, salt and vanilla and whisk everything together.

Pour the mixture evenly into your ramekins(I got mine from Ross for $9.00 and love them)
Set your ramekins into your oven safe dish and pour enough hot water into the bottom of the pan to come up halfway on the ramekins.

Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.

Cool on counter top until they are cool enough to handle and then put them in the fridge.
Let them sit in the refrigerator overnight. (if you were to make them in the morning you could have them ready for dessert that night) It is important that they spend a good amount of time in the fridge. They really do not taste the same unless you let them set up in the fridge for quite a while.

Sprinkle the creme brulee with brown sugar and get out the little kitchen torch. Melt the sugar on the top to create a hard shell. (I dont have a torch and skipped this step)

Devour.




*someday I will have a kitchen torch...someday*

7 comments:

MaryAnn said...

I have heard that you can get the crunchy sugar on top without the kitchen torch by putting the sugar on and then putting the creme brulee under the broiler for a short time - I assume you need to move the oven rack up pretty close to the broiler. You could give that a try.

Danielle said...

Thank You! That sounds like it would work.

Jason&Shannon said...

I have made creme brulee where it says to put turbinado sugar on top (I have some and do like the taste) and then put them briefly under the broiler if you don't have a torch. It worked splendid....the sugar carmelized and got that crunchy thin layer on top of the soft, smooth creme brulee (which is also one of my favorite dessert)!

Leslie said...

I love creme brulee. I'm afraid that learning to make it at home could prove dangerous, but I might have to try.

Lynda/Mom said...

OK--don't know how I missed your posts. My mouth waters over the recipe, but I am supposed to be on a diet at this point so I don't dare think about it too much. One spoonful might be nice!

Danielle said...

Leslie-the good thing about it is that I don't usually just have cream lying around to use so I have to buy it special just to make the recipe. It makes it less likely that I will make it twice a day and eat it all for myself.

Laura Stringham said...

Yum-o. next time, call me. i'll be there in two shakes.