CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 3, 2010

I am going on an adventure...

John and I have been watching a t.v. show called "The 'F' Word." It is a cooking show starring Chef Gordon Ramsay. "The 'F' stands for food" he says at the beginning of every episode. It is kind of an odd show and I don't really know how to describe it, but it has awakened something in me and inspired us to try some different foods. So with a little bit of Christmas money I went to Ross and got some totally sweet and totally inexpensive cook books and some cooking implements that I have needed for quite some time - I still don't have a rolling pin! One of the cook books I bought is Martha Stewart's Cooking School, it retails for $45.00 and I bought it for $10.00. Thank you, Ross. It is probably one of the most handy things a person who wants to cook can have. Martha literally teaches you just about everything you need to know including, but not limited to de-boning a leg of lamb, filleting different fish, dividing a whole chicken, and how to make stocks of every kind (thank you, Martha). The other book cost me about $7.00 but is not really worth mentioning.

With some rules in line (like sticking to the monthly food budget), my adventure started about a week and a half ago. In our quest we are trying to eat better (in my opinion, just about anything homemade is better than eating out) eat fewer snack-y things, and we are also trying to eat fresh. The eating fresh part has been a challenge, but has also been fun (for example: instead of buying breads, I make them)

So far we have had the following things for dinner:

Seared Ahi Tuna Salad - have you ever heard of Sunflower Farmers Market? They have the most delicious cuts of meat and fish and you cant beat the price on the fish.

Chicken and Eggplant Parmesan - The eggplant didn't turn out so great, it was pretty mushy.

Greek Chicken with grilled zucchini served over Bulgur with Homemade pita bread - our most favorite yet...and probably the most healthy. I will have to make it again so I can take pictures and share the recipe. Side note: If you have not tried bulgur, TRY IT. It can be used as a substitute for rice and it is so yummy.

Tri Tip roast with garlic tossed asparagus and roasted baby potatoes - We all know how amazing tri tip is.

I will share some of the delicious recipes that I have as I make them so you can come along on my food adventure with me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOHHH I love Gordon Ramsey!! and I love to cook!! Cant wait for the recipes!!! :)

Sandy Brunson said...

yes please! Share recipes. I love a good adventure. (I'm John's cousin, just in case you are wondering)

Lynda/Mom said...

I LOVE Sunflower Market--I think it was started by a breakoff partner of Whole Foods. Glad you are enjoying healthy eating and exercising.

Laura Stringham said...

mmmmm. I've been trying to learn how to cook chinese food. i even went to the china market, which was an adventure in and of itself. Ben just wanted to look at the fish everywhere.

i'm so proud of you for trying all this! it's so fun for me to cook good food and a little liberating too!

kacy said...

please share your recipes!